Winsham Parish Council held its first meeting on December 13th 1894, chaired by Col. Cornish Henley.
Mr Walter Northcombe became Parish Clerk, at the same time, a post that he held until 1933. The lych gate at St.Stephen's was erected in Walter Northcombe's memory, not only for his services to the Parish Council, but also for the years spent as village school master, and a well loved member of the community.
Winsham was one of the first Parish Councils to be formed following the enabling legislation introduced by Gladstone, earlier in 1894. The meeting was held then, as now, in the Jubilee Hall.
Col. Cornish Henley, of Leigh House was the first Chairman of Winsham Parish Council, a post he held for six years. Mr F.J. Fry of Cricket House became Chairman for the next nineteen years.
Lych Gate - Photograph © John Sullivan
Jubilee Hall - Photograph © John Sullivan